Monday, June 18, 2012

Happy Father's Day Big Daddy Erik!

Aah, hello! And welcome to Monday morning. With Father's Day now behind us, I am now able to reveal what I was so darn excited about! I could not have been more pleased with how the day turned out, and was especially pleased with the ideas I {finally} had, and was able to pull off...even at the last minute.


So, I saw a couple of pictures on Pinterest that sparked all of my inspiration. One was of a tie shaped banner, and the other was a message painted on the bottoms of the kids' feet. I set right to work making our Daddy a book, banner, and treat poster. The pictures of all the boys together were, by far, the hardest part of the entire process. It is not an easy thing to get them all smiling and looking at me while holding a banner in just the right place. And it was even harder to paint on the bottoms of their feet and have them line up just right so we could read the message on their darling piggies. However, we managed to do it and thanks to the one hour photo lab, we had all the parts to our book finished before Daddy arrived home from work. I used their Saturday video game time to scrapbook it to my liking, the headed to a copy shop to bind it with my new favorite binding machine. Now, for the big reveal! (Drum roll please...)

Front cover of book

flip-side of book cover
Since I wanted to bind a book, and you can't have a book with 2 photos, I helped the boys create "filler" pages. First, they each drew a picture of themselves with their daddy.





On the back of each of their drawings, I did their hand print with their name and age. (not pictured). Next, I printed out a basic little questionnaire with questions to answer about their dad. They included things like his age, favorite color, favorite sport, and why they love him. Some of them were hilarious. I spared you the images of each one of these, you get the idea! On the back of their questionnaires, I took a recent photo of them and scrapbooked it with their name, like so:




To finish is off, we had the last page of the book be the photo of their painted feet. I love the finished product! So simple and affordable. With enlargements and binding the book I spent all of $4 on this endeavor. Here is the last page:

back cover of book
So, there you have it. Probably not worth all the hype I gave it, but I sure loved it and so did their Dad. I made him a candy poster (really thoughtful, since he is diabetic and all!) :) Don't worry, he's already had lots of help with the eating of the candy.
Here are a few shots of the big day. It was a beautiful Sunday and after church, we enjoyed corned beef, steamed cabbage and mashed tates for dinner. Followed by gift giving, a long nap, and a relaxing evening hangin' with the kiddos. 
"wearing" a tie from the banner

candy poster

cards and pictures from the boys

reading the book with daddy

more reading...

still reading!

we also got him a boutonniere
So, there you have it! Our Father's Day celebrations! (In case you wish to make a book too, ours was 8 1/2 x 8 1/2)

3 comments:

  1. So stinkin cute! You are amazing!
    Every time I look at your pictures I am amazed at how much Vaughn looks like JayDee did when he was littler! Such a darling bunch of boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, you are so right! They are very similar! Of course, I have always thought all my boys look really alike; and more like their daddy than me! :) Thanks for reading, and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Yeah, maybe I won't post what we did for Jason on Father's day. It doesn't even compare. That book is amazing!

    ReplyDelete