Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day #16 Just a low-key Tuesday

This morning I found myself still unwinding from our busy weekend and trying to catch up Monday. Fortunately Tuesday's are a low-key day around our house. Plus, I had a Dr.'s appointment this afternoon which meant the children would be left to their own devices for a couple of hours. I spent the morning doing some finishing touches on the Alphabet writing books I am making for my future Kindergartner to practice with. Reading has come more easily to him, and we really need to focus on his writing. Fortunately my appointment was very near the copy place I wanted to visit to bind his books. Who knew binding a book was so fun? Line up the paper and push a pedal on the floor to punch the holes. Then start the coil at one end and go through a few holes and hold it up to a little machine with a spinning belt and watch it feed itself the rest of the way through! I was highly entertained! My enthusiasm made the store clerk giggle a bit... Anyway, for a mere $1 fee, and about 8 minutes of my time, I was able to bind the Large Print Alphabet book, the Alphabet Book, the ABC Sentence book, and another Letter Practice book. It was all kind of fun; mostly because I was not trying to corral any small children at the same time! :) I must say though, I have a greater appreciation for what teachers do for their students. I cannot imagine the time it takes to do that over and over for 20-30 students and multiple books covering multiple subjects. I had such an admiration for the older boys' Kindergarten teacher. She is who I got all these copies from. I wish she could have taught each of my little Kindergartners.

Anyhow, after my errands were run, I was anxious to come home to see how well the fellas had followed my instructions. I was pleasantly surprised to find most of my requests had been followed. The house was tidy (I have a new standard of "clean" with everyone home all day, every day) and they had filled out their little worksheets I made for their animal book reports. The information they filled in was interesting, but being the visual learner I am, I much preferred the drawings they had each rendered to depict their specific animal. Next week I am looking forward helping them make posters for their book report presentation. To finish off our Time to Read Tuesday, I am headed off to read a couple more chapters of The Chocolate Touch to them. Take it easy, we'll catch ya later! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment