Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day #10 Wednesday finds us back in the Kitchen

I'll be honest. After last weeks pulling taffy debacle, I was a tad hesitant to try a new recipe. However, the JayDee man has been begging me for weeks to make mozzarella sticks for him. Not being a huge fan of fried stuff (*correction* I am actually a really huge fan of fried stuff...that's the problem) Anyway, I hit up Pinterest to find a recipe that baked the sticks instead of frying them. We found just what we were looking for here:http://everycollegegirl.com/how-to-cook-healthy-mozzarella-sticks/
and we followed her recipe exactly. To get started, I gathered the boys. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly a table can be cleared and wiped when I say we will start our cooking endeavors as soon as its clean...However, I digress. So, I gathered the cuties.


Then I put them all to work measuring out flour, bread crumbs, and grated Parmesan. Thanks to my handy, dandy, white board...I knew what was going on today in advance, so I had the presence of mind to freeze the cheese this morning. Let's just say it would not have gone over well with the crew if they had had to wait for cheese to freeze; that's far worse that watching a pot of water boil. :)
Beat the egg
measure out some flour

time for the bread crumbs

and more bread crumbs
With our 3 separate bowls ready with flour, egg, and Parmesan cheese/bread crumb mixture, it was time to create our assembly line and grab the cheese out of the freezer and start dipping.
ummm, ick mom...this is messy

With the sticks all dipped, it was time to put them in the oven and heat up some marinara for dipping. Technically, this recipe says to bake them for 4 min. It also cautions to not overcook them, because they will melt into little cheesy blobs covered in breadcrumbs. I shared this information with the boys, and I think the oven door was opened about 27 times for them to each check on the progress personally; so our sticks took about 7 min. to crisp up. :) Then it was time to sit back and enjoy the fruits of our labors!
With the big thumbs up from the G-man, I knew we had achieved baked mozzarella cheese sticks success! So I sat down with the fellas and started to enjoy my cheese sticks as well. Of course, this is a house of boys...so just eating the sticks was not sufficient. They had to have a cheese stretching contest. Silly boys!


 Well, that's it for today! Another fun Wednesday experimenting with the fellas in the kitchen. What's Cookin' Wednesday's at your place? Any must-try recipes you'd like to share with us??? We are always up for something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment