Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day #4 Be Thoughtful Thursday

While seeking out this summer's theme days I wanted to make sure I could find a way to incorporate getting outside of our little selves and doing some good in the world. I was delighted to see a Pinterest pin suggesting to have Thursday's theme center on being thoughtful. With a growing number of scouts in our home, I wanted to find things that would help them earn merit badges; while still including the younger members of our crew. This is not always a simple task. As I was calling local non-profit organizations looking for ways the boys could volunteer and earn hours for their Citizenship in the Community, I became more discouraged as place after place informed me they were just too young. I knew we could always just write a note to someone or drop off a treat to one of the sweet widows we love; but I was looking for something we had not done in the past. I was pleasantly surprised to discover a huge need for toilet paper at the local food bank. The woman at Community Action Service and Food Bank in Provo told me the best way for the boys to get involved was to simply host a toilet paper drive. It was so simple it almost sounded to easy. As I talked it over with the boys and we began planning the drive, we were all humbled that such a simple commodity was in such great demand. We quickly became very excited about participating in this service, and planned for it to be our very first Be Thoughtful Thursday activity. After a few dozen fliers were handed out and a post was made on facebook to notify other family and friends, we set the donation deadline and set back to wait and see the response...




Step 1: Unwrap and Stack all the Rolls

Step 2: Place two rolls in each grocery bag

Step 3: Tie each bag with a double knot

My very handsome and happy Scouts, all done bagging...for today

Little Helper #1

Little Helper #2
The final donations will be gathered on Sunday from Church, then we'll finish bagging and take to the Food Bank next week. For today though, we are grateful that because of the generosity of family and friends, we were able to bag 66 rolls of toilet paper. That is 33 families who will benefit from this little drive of ours. Thanks to everyone who helped us out. Happy Be Thoughtful Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment