Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Getting Organized...

I don't know about you, but I am all about the visual aids. Perhaps it became a part of me after all those years of serving in the Primary organization in my church. Children, like myself, thrive on visual learning. So, around our house there are lists and schedules posted everywhere. Don't misinterpret the presence of such things as an indication that they are strictly followed by everyone, each day. They aren't. However, having them gives me a better sense of order around the house and keeps reminds me what everyone needs to be doing, and when.
For summer though, changes needed to be made to the schedule to better accommodate us all being home together all day. In the past we have always had a "theme" of sorts for each day of the week. This summer is similar, but for some reason I like it more. To keep organized, I typed up my goals, daily theme plan, and other pertinent ideas in a word document and saved all the links I would need for recipes and ideas on that master document, and saved it to my desktop. I also printed out a hard copy and a copy of the daily schedule to hang on the wall.
Not that I have anyone but myself following this blog, but just in case, here are our Theme Days:
* Make it Monday (a craft project)
* Time to read Tuesday (trip to Library, story time with Mom, monthly book reports, or write/illustrate your own book
* What's cookin' Wednesday (try a new recipe together)
* Be Thoughtful Thursday (service project, write a letter to someone, scouting service hours, etc)
* Field trip/Friendship Friday (go on a field trip or plan and outdoor activity and invite some friends over)

                                  I used our white board to display what is coming up each week.
Here is our Daily Schedule too:

Daily Schedule:
8:00 am – wake up and eat breakfast
8:30- breakfast clean up
8:30-11:00- outside time: animal care and free play
11:00-12:30- STOP and give me 30 (piano, reading & math rotations)
12:30- Lunch
1:00- clean up lunch
1:00-1:30- chore charts
1:30-3:00- Days of the week activity
3:00-4:00- Siesta (quiet activity IN rooms)
4:00-5:30- Free time and dinner prep
5:30-Dinner and clean up
6:00-7:30- Free time
7:30- Family scripture study (or FHE on Mondays) & family prayer
8:00- 8:10- Many hands make light work house spiff
8:10-8:30- Bedtime routines
8:30-9:00- Reading in beds
9:00-LIGHTS OUT!

There you have it! Nothing earth shattering, but to me its just the right balance between free time and responsibility. We'll see how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. See?! Tell Sam I'm not the only one who does this kind of thing! lol I learned very quickly that when it comes to life running smoothly with kids that routines, plans, schedules, (and pinterest!), etc are very good things. When Sam sees me at the computer with my lists he good-naturedly gives me a hard time about it but you know he's thinking "now what is that crazy woman planning NOW?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bri! I love your schedule/activities! You are such an inspiration. I am definitely a routine gal...comes from being a teacher turned mom. :)

    ReplyDelete