Monday, August 27, 2012

National Gentry Day (Day #52)

With JayDee's make a cake with mom day being such a big success, Gentry was very excited to dive right into a day of his own. He was having trouble deciding what to do, craft or baking? Fieldtrip or hang at home. I told him that perhaps we could have a duo-purpose with our day. As part of his cub scouting, there are certain tasks he is supposed to complete with his parents at home. One of which includes planning a meal and making it. He like the sound of that, so we pulled up my "food things I want to make" board on Pinterest, and hauled out some cook books, and got to work. He loves baked spaghetti, so the main meal was easy. For a bread side, he found a parmesan garlic pull-apart bread on my board and dessert caught his eye quickly; chocolate cupcakes with green mint frosting and an Andes mint stuck in each on. (He's just like me, sold on a good photograph...every time!)
We got right to work with the cupcakes so they could cool. Then we moved onto the spaghetti. I taught him to add salt to boiling water, and showed him how to grate cheese...without loosing any skin off his knuckles! ;) We had a delightful time together. When it was about an hour before dinner, we put the spaghetti pan in the oven and started on the pull-apart bread. While that rose, we iced the cupcakes and topped them with the candy bars. We had a great time, and he just keeps me laughing. He always has interesting questions and notices things that I would normally just skim over. I cannot emphasize enough how glad I am we decided to do this. Certainly one of the best ideas my guys have ever had! I am one blessed momma!
Here are some photos of his big day:
using the mixer...without any help!

grating up the cheese

pull-apart bread, ready to rise

risen, baked, and ready to eat!

LOVE that face!

mint chocolate cupcakes!

Baked spaghetti...his fav!

No comments:

Post a Comment